A few days ago, I came across a paper that lists six ways that one can survive in any environment (especially in the workplace). It’s probably old news to some and may have been circulating around the web for quite some time, but some people may not know about it (I, myself, just found out about this lil’ check list). According to the list, it was created by T.D. Jakes and from what I was reading, the list made perfect sense! So I wanted to share it with all of you. (Once again, the list was created by T.D. Jakes. In other words, I don’t take ANY credit for it.) So here it is:
How to Survive in the Workplace
1. Don’t expect to be appreciated. Your only expectation should be to get a paycheck. Don’t come to work to have personal relationships. Don’t allow what you do to affect who you are.
2. Do your job well but remember your mission. God put you there to be a light.
3. Seek opportunities to change the atmosphere without commenting on the problems. You have a God to talk to. You are on an assignment. Quietness and competence shall be your strength.
4. Don’t let your environment get inside of you. You should influence it, not let it influence you. Stop going to work to be fed. You didn’t come to receive, you came to give.
5. Increase your capacity to work with different personalities. God will often bless you through people you don’t even like!
6. Remember, where you are does not define where you are going. This will deliver you from frustration. God has a plan for your life. Keep your eye on the prize. When Peter did this, he was able to walk in what other people sank in!
*Keep this in mind and you will go long way. I truly believe that.